All travel cards are initially unregistered, so that you may travel anonymously. We also offer services that provide useful help and support if you lose your card. These services require that you give us permission to process certain personal data.
The purposes for the processing of personal data are:
- Better customer service and follow-up: Ruter processes personal data in order to provide you with more personal and better follow-up of your customer relationship and to provide supplementary services. If you e.g. lose your travel card or if it is stolen, customer service can use the registered data to transfer the remaining value to a new travel card. The fee is NOK 50 for a new card. Customer service may also refund the remaining value for a service fee of NOK 100.
- Receive marketing information (includes better customer service): You may choose to receive information on route services and prices, etc., from Ruter, including by e-mail. If you choose to register your travel card, you may also access a summary of your consents on the webpage "MinSide".
- Automatic renewal: You can enable automatic renewal of 30-day tickets or automatic top up of pay-as-you-go credit. You must enter into a separate agreement with Ruter concerning this.
What we process
- Customer data. This is contact data such as name, address, e-mail, mobile phone number, date of birth and travel card number.
- Travel information. This is information concerning for example the specific zone and stop at which you started the trip, when your travel card was validated, the specific type of ticket you have used and the number of your travel card. Information from the last eight validations are stored on the travel card.
- Sales information, information from the sale of a ticket or topping up/use of pay-as-you-go credit such as time of purchase, amount, ticket type and which zone the ticket is valid for.
Payment information (for subscriptions) is not processed by Ruter, but by the payment Processor.
We only process your information if you have provided your consent for this, or to comply with a subscription agreement with you. You may withdraw this consent at any time, or terminate the agreement.
Customer data and travel data are stored in separate databases, and access to the data is restricted. You may withdraw this consent at any time, or terminate the agreement.
If you subscribe to a period ticket or pay-as-you-go credit, the legal basis for the processing of personal data is that we are following up this agreement with you.
For other services described above, the basis for processing is your prior consent.
Access and use
Access to personal data is limited and is provided on the basis of service needs. You have the right to access and correct data, to transfer data and to delete information that is stored about you.
We combine only relevant customer information and travel information at the customer's request, e.g. if you contact Ruter regarding the balance on your travel card. We will not disclose your data to third parties unless ordered to do so by public authorities.
Storage and deletion
Your customer information is stored for as long as you have consented to storage, or for as long as the processing is necessary to follow up the subscription agreement with you. This assumes that an active travel card is linked to the customer record. If you withdraw your consent, we will delete your customer information within 14 days. Personal data will additionally be deleted in accordance with the following:
- Travel information is stored for up to 365 days after the ticket has expired, or 365 days after you have forwarded a written claim to Ruter concerning an issue with your trip. This is done in order to ensure your right to appeal to the Transport Complaints Board.
- Sales information is stored for up to 365 days after the ticket has expired or alternatively 365 days after you have forwarded a written claim to Ruter concerning an issue with your trip. This is done in order to ensure your right to appeal to the Transport Appeals Board.
- The data (both travel and customer data) required in order to invoice you in the event of automatic topping up of the travel card must be stored for 5 years due to accounting regulations.
Withdraw consent for storage or terminate subscription
You may withdraw your consent to receive information from Ruter, and you may withdraw your consent to all processing of personal data. If you withdraw your consent to all processing of personal data, Ruter will delete your customer data. You may still travel using your travel card if you withdraw your consent to storage of personal data, but you lose access to supplementary services.
If you have automatic renewal of a 30-day ticket or automatic topping up of pay-as-you-go credit and terminate these agreements, you must return the travel card in order for us to delete your data. As long as the travel card is in use, Ruter may store your data.