Buy pay-as-you-go credit
You can buy a new travel card with pay-as-you-go credit in kiosks, at our customer service centre and service points.
How to use pay-as-you-go credit
- Validate your travelcard at a card reader every time you travel.
- The price of a single ticket for one zone will be deducted from the card.
- The onboard surcharge does not apply.
If you are entitled to a children's or senior's ticket, this information must be added to the travelcard. This is done when you buy the travelcard or at a staffed sales outlet once you have the card.
- Tell the driver how far you will be travelling, how many persons you are paying for and whether you are entitled to a children's or senior's ticket.
- The driver will deduct the price of the number of single tickets you are paying for from the credit on the travelcard. The onboard surcharge does not apply.
- If travelling in zone 1: Validate the travelcard before boarding the train.
- If travelling further or in other zones: Buy a ticket at the ticket machine at the station, and choose pay-as-you-go credit as means of payment. Remember to validate the travelcard on a card reader before boarding in order to activate the ticket.
- If you pay using pay-as-you-go credit on trains, you are subject to a onboard surcharge.
Top up your travelcard
You may top up the card with pay-as-you-go credit at ticket machine or at a staffed sales outlet.
You cannot top up your card here at ruter.no.
You may add a maximum of NOK 1000 at a time, and the card may not contain more than NOK 2000 in total. If you have not used your travelcard for more than three years, the remaining amount on the card will be cancelled.
If you wish to ensure that you always have credit on the travelcard, you can get automatic top-up.