The student ticket is a discounted 30-day ticket. You get a 40 per cent discount compared to the adult price. Student discount applies only on the 30-day ticket, not single tickets or other period tickets.
How to buy a student ticket
Download the RuterBillett app and buy a student ticket on your mobile.
Who is entitled to a student discount?
You are entitled to a student discount if you are under 30 years of age and are
- studying full time at upper secondary schools, universities, university colleges, academies (including the Norwegian Defence Academy) and equivalent educational institutions which qualify for loans from the Norwegian State Educational Fund. Norwegian students studying overseas will also be entitled to the discount.
- a full-time work experience trainee as defined in Chapter 4 of the Norwegian Education Act (the page is only in Norwegian).
If you are 30 or older, you must purchase an adult ticket.
If you are younger than 20, you will benefit by purchasing a 30-day Youth ticket.
Note that tickets with student discounts must be activated the day before you turn 30 at the latest.
The course(s) involved must be of at least three months duration. Higher education courses must lead to a minimum of 30 study credits per term. If you are attending Upper Secondary Education, your studies must consist of a full year's programme (Vg1, Vg2 or Vg3, or their equivalents). If you are spending more time than usual to complete your studies, or if you are not attending tuition inn all subjects, your education will be regarded as part-time, and you will not qualify for a student discount.
The discount applies to students attending standard tuition and does not apply to special courses or trainee work. However, non-Norwegian speakers under the age of 30 attending the course «Programme in Norwegian Language and Civic Life for Adult Immigrants» or the introduction programme for refugees will be entitled to the discount.
Courses which do not entitle you to a student discount
- Part-time or visiting students, and adults in full employment
- Public sector academies, such as those linked to the postal services, Norwegian Correctional Service etc.
- Short evening courses
Remember proof of student identity when you travel
If you are travelling on a student ticket you must at all times be able to produce a document showing that you are attending courses during the current term. The proof must display your name and date of birth, the name of the establishment which you are attending, and the dates of the term for which it is valid.
What is valid proof?
- A student card or student proof on mobile.
- School proof for trainees confirming that you are a student or trainee the current term.
- A reference from the school or trainee organisation in question which confirms that you are attending courses during the current term, produced together with your bank card, driving licence, passport or other means of identification bearing a photograph.
The ANSA card is not acceptable as valid proof.
The spring term extends until the end of August, and the autumn term until the end of January. If you are terminating your studies, the last dates for activation of a new student ticket are 31 July and 31 December, respectively.
If, during a ticket inspection, you are found travelling on a student, seniors or youth ticket without a document providing proof of your entitlement to a discount, you will receive a fine.
We will waive the fine if you, within 14 days, show up at our Customer Service Centre at Jernbanetorget with valid proof of your entitlement to the discount at the time of the inspection.